For starters, on Tuesday I met my WM friend Stephanie for coffee down in the East Village. Great part of town which I love very much: it’s very artsy and hip in a younger, tattoo-covered, poverty-stricken kind of way. We walked around checking out various coffee joints that she had found online, and eventually settled on an incredible wine/espresso bar. I got two cafĂ© au laits (very good, and I drank them with sugar…shocker. Kind of reminded me of BCN, James.) and a chocolate cream puff. We talked and generally had a great time catching up about everything.
After we finished I wandered around downtown and talked to Melanie on the phone for a bit. It was great to hear about her new house and the developments in her job, but I had to cut the conversation short to meet my second coffee date: Fallon from my small group. We’ve been paired up to be prayer partners so we met at Starbucks for a couple hours to talk and get to know each other better and share prayer requests. It was a good time; she’s a great girl and I think we’ll become good friends. And I enjoyed a Green Tea Lemonade while we talked, which I hadn't had in forever and thoroughly enjoyed.
On Wednesday I talked to Laura over skype: she on her computer and me on my cell phone. It was great to hear from her about what’s up in her and Anthony’s lives. We had a lovely chat, and then spent the afternoon cooking and helping Stephanie (the one I’m subletting from) to move downtown to her new room.
Thursday was a great day of work and fun. Work was good, a bit slow on the customer end because of all the snow on the ground (we got 19 inches Wednesday night), but I worked all day with David and we amused ourselves by chatting, being ridiculous, and laughing way more than was good for us at many excellent jokes. After work I met up with my small group leader Liz for dinner at the Chelsea Market. We walked all over and then got crepes; mine had tomato sauce, cheese, sausage, and mushrooms on it, she got ham and cheese. We sat and talked about life and books and work and the city until they kicked us out when they shut the Market down for the night.
Friday and Saturday were good work days except that Justin put in his two weeks notice because he got a full-time offer at his other job which pays lots more. We will miss him very very much. On Saturday I was kind of hyper at work and decided that I wanted a margarita, so after work I went to the Mexican place around the corner which does $3 frozen ones and is therefore our shop’s official hang out location. David decided to come too, and then his girlfriend Hannah showed up as well. We had fun hanging, drinking, and eating the addictive-and-free chips and salsa. I enjoyed getting to know Hannah a bit after hearing David talk about her so much. All in all I think we each drank 3 margaritas, but they were delicious. And Hannah paid, which made them even more excellent. :-P
Today was good, too. I slept unusually well last night and woke up this morning 2 hours before I had to leave, giving me time for a leisurely breakfast and quiet time. Work was good, not too crazy but lots of good clients with interesting art who spent lots of money. I got to talk to the parents after work, which was great, and then got to go to church. There was a cool street musician in the subway station on the way home playing really happy songs on a xylophone-esque instrument that made me smile.
This week I’ve been reading the book Eat, Pray, Love, which is basically a travel memoir about a woman who spends a year traveling to Italy, India, and Indonesia. I’m enjoying it; she has some interesting things to say. When I finish it I’m going to read The Fountainhead next, which I’m super excited about.
The other day at work we were discussing what the soundtrack to our lives would be. If you had to pick 2 or 3 songs for your life-soundtrack, what would they be? I think mine right now are Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John, and The Show Must Go On by Queen, and maybe The Zephyr Song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Three of my favorite songs; I don’t really actually know what about them makes them my life-soundtrack or why I love them so much, but I do. They speak to me on some level. What would your songs be?
Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles. hands down--describes my life very well. =D
ReplyDeleteit's so cool how you're reading a lot!! i'm going through the book Confessions of a Shopaholic right now--it's a nice change from all the other stuff i have to read. i want to read The Kite Runner soon--have you read that one?
so can i just say, wine bar/espresso bar sounds awesome. So does the chelsea market. so does the mexican joint with $3 margaritas. your crepe makes me hungry. add them to the list of places to go next time i come up.
ReplyDeletenice you got to hang out a bit with people. we should talk again soon.
I don't know what songs would be my soundtrack...have to think about that one.
you should read Horse Soldiers when you finish Eat, Pray, Love
Love,
Remus
You have a very cool life. The wine/expresso bar sounds particularly good. I haven't been listening to a lot of songs lately, but "Here Comes the Sun" is definitely on my list...
ReplyDelete