Wednesday, April 6, 2011

This week has chugged by very well. Had dinner with my small group girls and then with Stephanie, both were fun. Lots of work, I did an extra day yesterday because we are behind and I didn’t have plans. But the work has generally been fun: good conversations and/or jokes with coworkers, good clients, general enjoyment of work.

I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the whole week, due to a double desire not to cook and to save money. Finally sick of them and out of food, I went shopping last night and made a big batch of picadillo with black beans, yellow rice, and fried plantains. I also made a big batch of granola (goodbye, breakfast burritos, for the foreseeable future…), tons of blondies for my coworkers to eat tomorrow, and a loaf of beer bread. I’d been planning on trying to make it for a while, and was surprised by how easy it was. It’s quite good, but I may try a different, courser flour next time because the general purpose white flour makes it taste a little cake-like. I plan to make some delicious grilled cheese sandwiches later this week.

Looks like I’ll be doing some overhire theatre work over the next couple weeks. Alex from the Metropolitan is directing a show and designing the set for it, and has asked me to come in and do the painterly/finishing work. Apparently we’re turning the entire theatre into a tenement building apartment…should be really interesting and fun.

I had an Alexander Technique lesson this morning, a Christmas gift from Moody. It was quite enjoyable, though the teacher reminded me of my old voice teacher Mrs. Kingston quite a lot. I hope to go back for monthly lessons to continue my study of Alexander. This afternoon I got to talk to Laura and Mommy on the phone; it was lovely to hear from both of them.

Had a good quiet time this afternoon. I’ve been running around a lot the last few months and haven’t had many chances to pause and recenter and refocus. Today was a much needed time of all of that. It’s amazing how everything in life make so much more sense after you talk to God about it.

I’m going to a concert tonight with my small group featuring Phil Wickham. Never heard of him, but they are all excited so I hope it will be good. Tomorrow I’m going to Brooklyn after work to see my ex-coworker Justin’s band perform. Hopefully that will be good, too.

My general mood right now is in need of rejuvenation. Could just be the end of a long day of cooking and apartment cleaning (said apartment, I am proud to announce, is now spotless). But I’m tired and lack inspiration. I think it’s one of those things that only time can fix. Need to do some resting and recharging, but not get lazy. Tough balance there, sometimes.

Random tidbits to keep this post from ending on a downer note: my new nickname at work is “Ladyfingers”. Which I find amusing and mildly annoying at the same time because I DON’T have ladyfingers; I’m pretty strong, especially for a girl. Also, Andy, my boss, has synesthesia that associates people’s names with a particular food. Apparently I am orange caviar. Take that as you will.

2 comments:

  1. do a little yoga to relax. supposedly it's good for the heart. It's amazing how much better you feel about everything after exercise.

    Alex really has done a lot for you, hasn't he? Isn't this like the fourth job you've had connected with him?

    I'm planning on making beer bread in the not too distant future. What do you mean by white flour making it cakey?

    so i did a little google search on orange caviar. apparently it's from salmon and is prized by sushi chefs. it's also kosher because salmon have scales and it has an intense salmon flavor. I don't generally think of you as a great lover of salmon flavor, but whatever. :)

    why does your boss associate you with that?

    Love,
    Remus

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yeah you are strong. remember when you beat Josh Chapman in an arm wrestling match? and while we're still on the subject of whose strong, too bad you weren't strong enough to take on me and remus that time about half a million years ago? =P

    what the heck is beer bread and why haven't i heard of it? i'd say send me the recipe, but i can't buy beer. grrr. and while we're on that subject, i've decided that i need to turn 21. pronto.

    i need to make granola too. i did buy some ground beef at the store last time i was there and i think i might make spaghetti for dinner tomorrow which would be super cool b/c i never get ground beef at school. =P

    ReplyDelete