And two more weeks have flown by. Things at the internship have continued to improve. I did a few drafting projects after my model projects, but then started doing real things. We had a fast approaching deadline for the Godspell model, so I spent a lot of time working on that. I got to go to the bid session for that show this week, which is where the design is presented to several scene shops who then come up with estimates for how much it will cost them to build, and whoever is cheapest gets the bid. Very interesting. I’ve done some small research stuff, run random errands, and have been working on a wallpaper project for A Doll’s House. I’ve made a couple trips to this awesome wallpaper store to collect samples for David, and have been doing lots of Photoshop work making renderings for him and the director that show the various options in the model.
David has been back in town for a week now and he’s a real bundle of energy. I’m getting used to having him around and find it very interesting to listen to his interactions with people in production meetings and around the studio. He’s purposely trying to let me see as much of what he does as possible, which I really appreciate. He’s really nice and handles the incredible amounts of stress that he’s under very well. Yesterday he got nachos for us all and we ate them together and then started our long weekend early by leaving work at 430.
We just found out that Chinglish, the new show that David was teching in Chicago a couple weeks ago, has become a huge hit and is transferring to Broadway in the fall. So that’s exciting. And we started a new project called Magic/Bird. I’m working on analyzing the script and can’t wait to read the rest of it: it’s about the Laker/Celtics rivalry in the 80s.
Things have gotten much better on the hanging out front. I’ve been scheduling people in and have greatly enjoyed spending time with them. I hung out with Stephanie both weeks: we did a picnic on the piers by the Hudson the first week and dinner at an Italian place this week. I love hanging with her. I also got to enjoy Mexican with Liz, my small group leader, and eat with Caroline from small group as well.
Also I’ve managed some very restorative alone time. I played in the rain last week. We got this torrential rainstorm and I was outside and didn’t have any reason particularly not to get wet, so I stayed out in it and walked around and got completely drenched and had a lovely time. Then went to small group and froze in the air conditioning for the rest of the night, but hey. It was worth it. Last Saturday after work I went back to the Chelsea Piers and sat by the water and watched the boats for a couple hours and enjoyed the breeze. It was lovely. And Thursday this week I took a beautiful long walk across Manhattan from east side to west side. I made it to the Hudson just as the sun was going down. The weather has been so beautiful recently, I’ve loved being outside every chance I can get.
So I’m adjusting to my new life. I do miss the frameshop still a lot, and just the comfortable happy existence I had there. I’m definitely being stretched in new ways at the studio, but I am learning a ton and am getting happier being there. I know I’m where God wants me right now, which makes all the difference.
You posted this at 445am????? what were you doing? Don't tell me you were watching Arrested Development.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are looking up for you--glad to hear it. :)
Next time I come up, we are definitely going to Chelsea Pier.
I don't hear you talking about exercising. Do your yoga!!!
It was fab talking to you last night. Have a great weekend with Caitlin!
Love,
Remus