Saturday, June 26, 2010

So I've decided to start blogging again. The old FrodoBagginsI blog is still there but I'm keeping it as a relic of my early college days. This one is for the post-college me. :-P

This summer has been good. I love my job, really love it. I work Monday-Friday 10-6 for Matt, with extra time in the evenings and weekends as needed. I get paid to build models, draft, make paint elevations, research, and answer questions for people. And to just hang out with Matt and whoever's around, listening to music, talking, joking, whatever we feel like. I love it and can't believe I have less than a month left.

Recently we've been swamped and Matt's been getting tired from overworking himself. I'm helping as much as I can. This past week was paint-elevations-time and early work on Man for All Seasons. On Monday I'll do the last paint elevation for Spelling Bee and then start building the Man For All Seasons model.

At the beginning of the summer I resolved to become un-addicted to coffee. Alas, it was not to be. Even if I could get myself to give it up, Matt and Eileen are such huge addicts I wouldn't be able to hold out for long. So I have developed a tradition of going out for iced coffee every afternoon, usually around lunch time. Place of choice has been Dunkin Donuts. The coffee snob inside me dies a little bit every time I go there, but it's actually not too bad. It tastes ok, has a drive thru so I don't even have to get out of the car, and costs $1.09 for a small black iced coffee. I have become a fan.

I have also begun to read again, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Last weekend I read Born to Run, which was fascinating and excellent. This week I've been working on The Private Lives of the Impressionists, which is very interesting, all about Monet and Cezanne and Degas and Renoir and those types in Paris in the 1860s and 70s. But it's a little bit slower-going.

I've been working on getting exercise. I run when I can, but have been fighting the weather (extreme heat and humidity make it hard to run), injury (shin splints and nausea), and tiredness. But I'm keeping at it. I also walk a lot. The Mills' neighborhood is great for that; it's beautiful and quiet with lots of side streets.

Today I spent the morning reading and thinking and eating at Panera, then went by the library, talked to Remus and Daddy, and established this blog. I also painted my toenails black (shock!!!) which is a new look I'm trying. I'm going for sophisticated and interesting, not emo, just fyi. Nobody freak out. I have not yet decided what I think of it.

I've been pondering a lot the last few days. Not getting the job I wanted in Philadelphia has lead to thinking about what I do want from and value in life. I won't bore you all with the overly philosophical parts, but one question is whether it's better to have a job that you love but not much money or personal life, or is it better to dislike your job but make good money and have time to do other things? Or is that the wrong question? Still pondering.

I have also been pondering things I want to do in my non-work life. Things on the list of what I want to always do, regardless of my location or financial status:

enjoy good food (homemade or restaurant)
enjoy good alcohol
enjoy good coffee
enjoy good chocolate
spend time reading lots of books on many topics
spend time listening to current and classic music
spent time going to concerts and performances
spend time watching current and classic movies

I want to remain, and become more of, a cultured person who is well rounded and enjoys life. I want to spend time and money traveling. I want to talk with interesting people. I want to love people and help them. And a lot of other things.

2 comments:

  1. couldn't agree more on what you want to do with your life. Sounds like you're making some progress towards a more reasonable life again. Glad you're enjoying your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you blogging again. I really like the list of things to include in your life. I've been pondering similar kinds of questions. Once the D.Phil.'s done, I expect I'll be pondering them a lot more.

    I painted my fingernails black once -- it was okay. (Read that as a nice upbeat "okay," not a wrinkle-the-nose-and-shrug "o-KAY"

    ReplyDelete