Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Poetry, say whaaat?

So rumor has it that I have become a poet. It is in fact true. Never having written a poem in my life until now, I have so far this week composed six.

It’s really weird. But I can’t help it; they just keep coming out and I have to write them down. I think it’s a way of me processing things. Just the random little things that I think about all the time.

I post them here for your viewing pleasure. In chronological order.


#1

Little red light

You don’t rule me

Why am I so dependent on you

I know I’m lonely, I get it


You seem like the gate to heaven

I don’t want to be that person

Always waiting for someone to call

Feeling like nobody loves me

Lost in self-pity and angst

But I know I need people

Technology helps me reach out

So, little red light, come by more often

You’re always welcome here

Letting me know someone cares

#2

Shadow vibrations

Waiting for you to call

Phantom elations

Hoping this time it’s for real

Texts two times

More for a phone call

Buzzing away in my jeans

To check now

Or savor the moment

Anticipate what you might say

But half the time it’s nothing

Isn’t you writing me back

Not a long-lost rich uncle

No quick text just to say hi

Instead it’s my shadow vibrations

My butt is making stuff up

Loneliness hope and dreams meet

One golden moment of glee

But then reality strikes


#3

Other people’s bodies

Sleek smooth skin

Muscles moving underneath

Wrinkles scars and spots

Tattoos and metal rings

History on your skin

How you want to appear

Contrasts with you are

Where were you when you got that burn?

Why did you choose that tattoo?

How much do you work out to look like that?

Did that piercing hurt?

What let you to that haircut?

What does that necklace mean?

Your body reads like a book

Scars recording your past

But they are only suggestions

Shadows of things that have been

Only you know the whole tale

And then there’s body language

What a conundrum

Bravado hides insecurity

iPods and books cover fear

Fear of what could happen

If we looked in each other’s eyes

And actually saw someone there

#4

I wear my sunglasses

Face is bland and empty

Look at you then through you

Never engage

You are not real people

Only terrors to be avoided

Walking question marks

Earbuds are earplugs

To any sound you make

A book fills my vision

Or I close my eyes

Can’t let anyone near

Animated bubbles

Never close enough to pop

Alone in our fear and shame

If we only realized

We are so much the same

#5

I can see your shoulders through your shirt

Muscles rippling smoothly

There’s your arm near mine

Shapely and strong

You don’t know you’re beautiful

Your hand is a wonder

Crisscrossed by veins

Long fingers, strong palms

I can see your bones

It’s a strange thing

Another body close to mine

So similar, but other

Unique, complete, and separate

There’s a romance and a power there

Another soul next to mine

I feel your energy

Watch you breathe

Wonder what you’re thinking

#6

“Hey gorgeous!”

Quiet mutter from a passing stranger

Leering call from the man in the car

I walk on, my shoulders stiffen

I relax and shrug it off

“Mamma sita, you are bonita!”

What do you expect me to do?

Is there a purpose to a catcall?

No respect, no hope for relationship

All that interests you is my body

If that’s all you want

I want nothing to do with you

I’m not an object for you to use

I’m have a soul, thoughts, and ideas

Somehow I think you might, too

“Why are you so beautiful?”

Don’t know, don’t care

Conversation over, I’m out

You gotta have more than an opening line

Have a conversation or leave me alone

1 comment:

  1. you have crossed over into emo-land. i'm rather concerned about it. :) you don't write poems. they are interesting though. they don't sound like something you would write though.

    we should talk soon.

    Love,
    Remus

    ReplyDelete