I have been so much more relaxed since Matt came back yesterday. Not that any of my work has changed (I'm actually doing more because he's decided he doesn't want to do the last couple plates of drafting he was supposed to work on so I get to do them--yay! :-P) I still attended the meeting that I otherwise would have today because he was out exercising. He did handle some of the carpentry/paint questions, but I still got a fair few. But just having him back around has taken the weight of the show off my shoulders. Maybe melodramatic, but true. I'm not responsible for the show, I'm just responsible for helping the person who's responsible for the show. I can take care of Matt and help him take care of the show. It's a weird difference, but it's much easier than having to liase between an out-of-town designer and an in-town shop.
I'm reading this book I borrowed from my friend Rachel. It's called Pale Fire, it's by the Russian author Vladimir Nabokov. The structure of the book fascinates me, I think it's brilliant. It's in 4 parts: a forward, a 999-line poem by a fictional author, commentary on that poem by another fictional author, and an index. Apparently through reading all of these a story comes out. I've read the forward, the poem, and started the commentary and the story is just starting to come out; it's much stranger than I thought--all about kings-in-disguise and a murder. But I'm really enjoying the word choice in the entire book. Very interesting, descriptive, beautiful-sounding, well-placed words. Tonight it was talking about a bird and "the revolting gusto it showed when consuming long, sad, passive worms!" I read that and cracked up. Every day Rachel asks me if I've read the book yet when she comes into work, so I'm working on it and will soon be able to proudly tell her that I have.
There's a party tonight thrown by the VSF production staff living in 406: it's pirate-themed. I kind of want to go, but doubt I will. It doesn't start until 11pm, after the show ends, and once I get back to the Mills' every night I get lazy and don't want to go out again. Last night I fell asleep reading at about 9pm; I woke up at 4:30am with the lights still on, still dressed in my clothes and everything. I crawled out of bed, turned out the lights, and then collapsed again for a few more hours of precious sleep (granted an old woman by two ferocious wild girls landing on her head!!) Sorry, just had to throw that in there. :-D
I just watched a car drive by on the street in the dark. The headlights were in the shape of a "t" or a cross. It was cool, there were just these giant t's of light coming down the street and then a car materialized behind them. Very pretty. I've noticed that streetlamps look the same way from far away, forming "x"s or "t"s. They're quite lovely.
I think blogging is good for me, it brings out my more cultural side and makes me think more about life. It pulls me away from the go to work then come home and sleep mentality, much as I love my work. Blogging I ponder things and comment on poem word choices and on car headlights. It's cool, I like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment